Monday, April 13, 2015

Can You Handle Not Knowing?

Last week was a big day for fans of "Lost". Not really, but if you've seen the show there was a string of numbers that inevitably led to bad luck: 4, 9, 15, 16, 23, 42. So, like Pi day this year (3.141592653) the numbers can be turned into a date and time this year (Lost = Apr. 9, 15, 4:23:42pm).

What does this have to do with anything? I have no idea. The numbers were crucial to many stories in the show except for one thing, it was never explained what they mean and why they were so vital. There are guesses on the internet, but it was never explained. Neither was the polar bear, the Darma shark, why the island needed a "Jacob", etc. There were tons of things that were just never, ever explained.

For my wife, that was horrific. She needed to know. We would finish some episodes and she'd get mad at the TV, "Now I'm more confused." My sister would ask me questions while on the chatboards and searching the internet for information. They had a hard time with accepting in the show you just will not know, you will never understand, and we will never go back to help you get it.

There are many people in my life like that. I think it's part of being in the digital information age. Any answer we want is at our fingertips. Except they're not all there, nor are the all right. To fully trust in God means there are things we just can't understand. I don't know how the Trinity works, and I'm okay with that. But are you? Can you handle not knowing all there is to know about  God and still believe in Him?

I also don't know how light works, scientists are still trying to figure it out, but I believe it exists and I don't question it. Same with gravity or many other things in our universe. Maybe when it comes to God we need to have the same attitude, I don't know how it works, but I see the effects and I trust it's there. Is that good enough to start a faith journey with Christ?

“Can you solve the mysteries of God? Can you discover everything about the Almighty?  ‎Such knowledge is higher than the heavens— and who are you? It is deeper than the underworld— what do you know?  ‎It is broader than the earth and wider than the sea. ~ Job. 11:7-9 (NLT)

T

No comments: