Monday, May 02, 2016

Who Lifts This Arm?

This quote from Moby Dick has been in my head today.

Is it I, God, or who, that lifts this arm? But if the great sun move not of himself; but is as an errand-boy in heaven; nor one single star can revolve, but by some invisible power; how then can this one small heart beat; this one small brain think thoughts; unless God does that beating, does that thinking, does that living, and not I. By heaven, man, we are turned round and round in this world, like yonder windlass, and Fate is the handspike. And all the time, lo! that smiling sky, and this unsounded sea!

It's asking a very simple question. Am I able to do even the simplest task or is God behind it all?

In many ways, the real answer is not what defines us. The answer we perceive can be way more important. It will determine how we live.

Is God behind everything, every breath I take?

No comments: