Monday, September 19, 2016

Relationship Fatigue

We talked a little about this with our high schoolers last night. It's when you get so tired you just can't care anymore. Spiritually tired, emotionally tired, even just physically tired. The relationships around you aren't as important and you can't put into it what you should.

I realized this on Facebook the other day. I just couldn't care. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate people or anything. But I saw post after post from people I haven't talked to in a long time, some I hadn't even met but were shared by friends or in groups I'm involved. And some of them were people sharing stories of hurt or requests for help and I honestly just couldn't read any more. Or do anything. So I just quit.

There was a moment of self-reflection after it. Am I a bad person? Why don't I care more? Why am I not a compassionate person?

In that moment I was reminded of something Pastor Jared said a few weeks ago.

Jesus traveled around through all the cities and villages of that area, teaching in the Jewish synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And wherever He went He healed people of every sort of illness. And what pity He felt for the crowds that came, because their problems were so great and they didn’t know what to do or where to go for help. They were like sheep without a shepherd. ~ Matt. 9:35-36 (TLB)

There are a couple of verses where if mentions Jesus having compassion on the crowds. Someone who could have been doing so many other things that we would see as significant or more important and instead He took time to be with people in their pain and heal them.

What if we all had a little more compassion? Maybe we wouldn't be reaching out to people we hadn't talked to in a decade on Facebook, we wouldn't need to...

T

No comments: