Monday, September 18, 2017

Why SPAM Doesn't Work On Me

Because I'm not desperate.

I realized this while going through my spam folder one morning. There are a lot of weird and really inappropriate offers. Why would anyone ever fall for them? And I started to think about it, if I were really, really in need of something, I was incredibly desperate, they might work.

I'm not desperate for a get rich quick scheme, but if I were days away from the house foreclosing on my family would I open it? I'm not desperate for human interaction, but if I were incredibly alone would even a stranger in an email be enticing? 

It got me thinking how desperate people will do crazy things. And they're not always bad. A financially desperate person may finally take the leap and patent that new idea. A desperate person in an abusive relationship will find the courage to leave and live somewhere new and unknown. Sometimes, desperation can cause us to do amazing things.

What would it look like if you were desperate for Jesus?


    I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me. 
      He freed me from all my fears. 
    Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; 
      no shadow of shame will darken their faces. 
    In my desperation I prayed, and the LORD listened; 
      he saved me from all my troubles. 
    For the angel of the LORD is a guard; 
      he surrounds and defends all who fear him.  ~ Psalm 34:4-7 (NLT)

T

No comments: