Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Stay at Home Mission Experience - Day 3

We're already half done the week (it goes by so fast). Today FIRE (junior high) students helped at the pantry while WATER (senior high) students went on a new adventure, but I'll let them tell their stories below. Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support!

Today we went to a non-profit organization called Westminster Neighborhood Services. We mostly helped with the food bank they have there, but they also offer different services. Such as medical care, mental health care, church services, child care, and many more. Today I sorted through school supplies for their upcoming back to school bash. Where they give kids everything that they would need for school, from backpacks to pencils. It was really cool to see what they offer to their community. The organization views the people that come there as neighbors instead of people in need, and it makes them feel that they can recover from whatever loss. – Callie

 

Today we travelled to a place near downtown Indy. There, we worked at a place called Westminster Neighborhood Services. If there is a service project you can think of, we did it. I or someone else with me did packing, sorting, boxing, unloading, moving and sorting food, weeding, childcare, cleaning, rearranging, packing, recycling, crafting, cooking, picking up trash, and probably others I can’t think of. We took a break to eat lunch and found that most of our bags were soaked from the ice melting and leaking in the cooler. A personal favorite of mine was seeing the monstrosities that were created when a few of us were told to make t-shirt bags. Yikes.

Then we packed up the bus and headed home until tomorrow when we will be returning. Some people took this opportunity to nap, while others fell asleep back at the church. *cough Luke and Alyssa cough* Tonight was Taco Tuesday, and it was absolutely delicious. We played a game involving memorization of names and people which I bluffed my way through and helped the girls team in a whopping 0/3 games.

After getting all out competitive fire out, I loved listening to tonight’s lesson about loving mercy and paying the mercy we’ve been shown by God forward to others. Overall, our achievement today was a great addition to the trip, and we are officially half way thought the trip. It has gone by so fast, and I’ve loved every second of it. - Lauren

 

Throughout this week things have been different from other mission trips I have been to. Being so close to home and seeing how rough some parts of town are in just a 10 minute drive was eye opening. Today I served at Westminster Neighborhood Services I worked in the kitchen and in the store unpacking boxes. I learned a lot about the local community and the copious amounts of struggles they prevail through. One worker Chris always had a positive attitude even throughout the mundane work we were partaking in. I hope to learn more about my local communities and to further my knowledge about God. Overall, I had a good day and am excited to finish this week strong. - Ryan


No comments: