Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour

So did you turn out your lights for earth hour (8:30 - 9:30)?

We did, and to be honest, it made me think a little. First, Lorie and I don't use much power anyway. I was raised if you leave a room you turn out the lights. But then again, we use more power than we need. Our computer was on, right now we have music on we don't really "need", but it is nice. And after we were done, I had to use the restroom, and was kind of glad I had lights when I did that...

But it all goes back to what do we need? I know we live in a very rich society and it seems like we have a lot of needs because of what everyone else has, but do we really? Just because someone else has it do we therefore need it?

I don't know, just thinking about how many other people in the world manage to survive with much less than we have. Mind you, I say that while I'm sitting on my comfy couch writing something on the Internet on a laptop inside a home that is heated and sheltered from the rain outside while the music is playing on our stereo with nice cold iced tea on the coffee table (the remnants of my third meal of the day).

I really have to look into that wind generator...

T

No comments: