Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The What Now?

I was watching an archeology program on the holy land (I know, I'm a party animal) and throughout the show they tell little trivia facts about what they're looking at. Right up my alley. Then this one comes up. The Bible is the most popular book in the world. It's also the most shoplifted book in the world.

Now I had to think about that for a second. Forget the fact that most churches will probably give you a Bible for free (we will), people are stealing the Bible more than any other book. The book that teaches people not to steal is being stolen...

Now on one hand that worries me, as obvious above. But really, someone who is going to steal a Bible is probably someone who needs to read the Bible. I had a friend, Andrew, who's backpack was stolen one day. The thing he regretted most was his Bible being in there, all the notes, it was a gift, etc. But even he said, "Well, maybe God thinks they need it more than I do."

So here's my idea, let's stop the shoplifting and start the giving. It could make a world of difference. After all, imagine what our churches would be like if everyone in them were so hungry for the Word of God they would actually risk jail time to get it...

T

No comments: