Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance / Veterans Day

It kind of makes me sad how little we remember war and those who fought here. On one hand it seems a little over-the-top to me how Americans are so uber-patriotic and how war and the armed forces are promoted. But at the same time, how did we honor our veterans today? The high schools got to sleep in. That's the only thing I noticed.

It made me think back to growing up in Canada. In my little town there was a parade, we were all taken out of school and had to stand downtown in the cold (it is November in Canada), everyone was wearing a poppy to represent Flander's Field, and those who served in war for our country walked proudly downtown while everyone stood silently and reverently.

Everywhere I've lived in Canada did something like that. Maybe downtown Indy's too far to go for us in Fishers but when I went to one of the high schools for lunch (I didn't get to stay, no other youth pastor showed up) you would never have known what today was. It reminded me of the George Santayana quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Not many signs of remembering while American troops are in how many wars at the moment...?

Something to ponder.

T

No comments: