Monday, February 08, 2016

It's Hard Letting Go

Last week I lost something very dear to me. It was beyond my control, there was nothing I could do to stop it. I lost my favorite internet radio site live365.

Now, let's break this down a little. It was never really "mine". There are hundreds of other places I can go to listen to music online. But you know what? This was my favorite. It was my go to. We had the app/program on every single device we own. And because of that moving on and moving forward seems hard.

But that's how life seems to be many times. We hold on to something, not even because it's the best, but because it's the familiar. I may find something else I like even better. I may even expand my musical horizons. But part of me doesn't want to let go simply because I don't want to let go.

How often do we have to be forced to get rid of things in our lives that are actually holding us back simply because we don't want to let go? We don't want to go through the pain of finding a new spreadsheet program and learning how to use it so instead we stick with the program from 1997 we already have and know. And sometimes, the only way we get out of that cycle is a program crashing and we are forced to find a new one and learn it and realize how we've been handicapped all this time without realizing it.

Jesus does this for us too. Sometimes we are living in ways that are old and familiar and holding us back but we don't realize it. And hopefully, we can start to make the change before our world crashes around us and we have to change. For some, that never happens and we still live with our broken lives. Let's choose not to, let's be better.

Ephesians 4:21-24 ~ Since you really listened to him and you were taught how the truth is in Jesus, change the former way of life that was part of the person you once were, corrupted by deceitful desires. Instead, renew the thinking in your mind by the Spirit and clothe yourself with the new person created according to God’s image in justice and true holiness. (CEB)

T

No comments: