Monday, April 03, 2017

Adjusting Eyes

This still hits me a little bit.

The other night I was working on a deck with my father-in-law. And he is a worker, he wants to start when the sun comes up and keep at it until the sun goes down. That's exactly what happened on this project, we were working until the sun was gone, there was a little porch light we used to work.

But as we worked, I didn't really notice it get darker (someone else had to ask for the light to be turned on). I just kept working. It wasn't until we were putting things in the garage at the end of the night and I walked into this brightly lit room that my eyes screamed, "it's so bright in here!"

I feel like this happens to our soul as well. Darkness rarely attacks us and we just succumb to it. It's gradual and slow, so slow we don't realize there is darkness inside us. Life continues as if it is business as normal. Only when we are slapped in the face with light do we realize how dark our soul and our lifestyle has become.

This just one of the billions of reasons why we need to be in the presence of God as much as humanly possible. It's a constant check at our spiritual blindness. How are we doing at looking into the light? Are we living lives that reflect that light? It's only by being in the presence of light does the darkness receded.

Psalm 56:12-13 ~ I will fulfill my vows to you, O God, and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help. For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light. (NLT)

T

No comments: