Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Niagara Falls - Day 4

Today was a different sort of day for everyone. We got to sleep in for an hour (something new Youthworks is trying, which was very well received) and we also had a ton of rain which caused a number of our planned service projects to be changed. And as always our students are doing fantastic, but don't take my word for it. Here's some stories.



I have been working at kids club all this week. It was very inspirational, and a lot of great moments. The kids were really engaged and I felt like they really connected with God. Circle time is really fun, the music BUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! –Mayanna


Today I worked at Lockpoint senior center. They had a big event planned where all of the seniors competed in mini sports games. My group was in charge of running the stations. After the “Olympics” they had, we ate lunch with them and presented their medals to them. My group also had dinner prep tonight, and our rap was the best song I’ve ever heard!! Tonight’s evening activity was the Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Center. I learned a lot more about the Underground Railroad than they have ever taught me in school. Today was a pretty good day. –Morgan


Today I worked at NGRM which was a men’s shelter. These past two days I did landscaping at two different places, so this was a nice change for me. At the shelter I started out by sorting bread with one of the seniors from our church. We got done fairly quickly then went back into the main room to hear about the volunteer coordinator’s storyline. She had a very inspirational story and told us how God had worked and is continuing to work in her life.

After we were done talking she gave us our final job which was sorting through about 2,200 different letters to find 6-7 that they didn’t need. We ended our morning by eating lunch with them and saying “goodbye”. Before we had to go back to the church we were staying at we had about an hour. To fill that hour we decided to go to a local ice cream shop that was recommend and got some really good ice cream. We then went back to the church to sort sandals for the locals in the community who were in need.

Lastly for our evening activity we went to a museum that was about the Underground Railroad. I personally learned so much and met one of the workers who had an ancestor that was involved in it when it happened. We’ve got one full day left tomorrow so I can look forward to lots of weeding. But overall all this weeding and landscaping was well worth it because I got to meet the beautiful community of Niagara Falls! –Matthew

No comments: