Monday, April 10, 2006

Evolution

Yeah, I'm back. I took a week off so I didn't write any blogs either. Sorry to those faithful readers... both of you.

But now on to what I was reading about today. Okay, I've heard many different arguments for and against evolution, but this was a new one to me. My fascination with evolution is this, it's all about odds. What are the odds of swirling gases forming into planets? What are the odds of a fish crawling up onto land and having the necessary equipment to breathe? What are the odds of a plant developing a natural defense against a creature that eats it before it gets eaten into extinction?

Well, here's the question I read today. The earliest form of life believed by scientists is bacteria. Each bacterium has 2 000 enzymes. Now, how long does it take for those 2 000 enzymes in some sort of primordial soup to randomly assemble and organize themselves into a bacterium? The answer is 40 to 100 billion years. At the earliest, 40 000 000 000 years!

Okay, is it possible that given 40 billion years that would happen? Sure, I'm all for that. Except for one small problem. Those bacteria need somewhere to live, in our case, good ol' planet earth. However, good ol' planet earth is not 40 billion years old. I've heard anywhere from 2 to 4 billion years (the book I was reading said 4). So there's a problem, one that evolutionists seem to admit. How is that possible?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm trying to start thought. One answer in the book I was reading was another form of life put it here, extra-terrestrials, the lovable aliens. They planted life here. It's funny that the book I was reading actually chose that and when asked if evolution was "directed" meaning some outside force helped it, the answer was, "That's Creationism and it's wrong. Just plain wrong."

Yeah, aliens sound a whole lot more likely than God...

The very beginning of the Bible, very first line, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

T

No comments: