Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Favorite American

Okay, so Independence Day is a week away and people around here are gearing up for it, showing their American pride, etc. But then I read this today, which makes me shudder.

There was a poll of people in the U.S. asking who the greatest American is/was. Reagan won, good choice. Elvis made the list, not my favorite choice. But near the bottom was someone who I like but who should not have been there.

Jesus.

That's right. 1% of Americans voted Jesus as the greatest American. Now seriously, that's too much. Do people even know who Jesus was? Think, if 1% of people said that, and that's a representation of the U.S. as a whole, then 3 million people think Jesus was the greatest American. And that means even more could think Jesus was a great American, He just wasn't the greatest.

Now I've been in the U.S. a few years and I know there are a lot of people who take "One Nation Under God" too far and believe God is an American, but 3 000 000 people? Is it possible?

I really question how many people truly know God and how many simply make it up as they go, naming their new imaginary friend "God"...

T

No comments: