Tuesday, June 12, 2007

How Much Is Enough?

Yeah, it's been a while, I'm sorry.

So last week at Drink Deep we talked about tithing and money, and this week we had some people mention how hard it is. I've always wondered about this because it's a percentage, it all comes to budgeting. I have two examples.

I was talking to someone last week who gambles. He was mentioning how the family was taking a road trip and they didn't want to stop for a hotel because it would cost $160. But then he said, "It's funny how throwing away $300 on a horse is okay, but $160 for a hotel, that's an unnecessary expense." Yeah, funny isn't it.

Then I read this today. In 1783, the Prince of Whales, George, was given a birthday gift equivalent to $6.2 million in today's currency. His father, King George III also set him up with an annual allowance of $5.2 million. Still, by the time he was in his mid-30's, Prince George had managed to be $70 million in debt. $70 million!!!! How does that happen?

We can blow money like that, but we can't give afford to give any to God?

Proverbs 21:20 ~ Wise people live in wealth and luxury, but stupid people spend their money as fast as they get it.

Ecclesiastes 7:7 ~ Even wise people are fools if they let money change their thinking.

T

P.S. I became an uncle today! Lacey Marcella Wood was born to my sister this evening!

No comments: