Monday, July 19, 2021

Leech Lake - Day 2

Well, today was a different day. All of us were ready to head out to our work projects when a thunderstorm come up out of nowhere (two hours before it wasn't even on the radar). All of our plans for the day were changed, and the students did great with patience and adapting to change. Our groups went to a food shelf (much like our food pantry) and a school to do maintenance and upkeep.

We also spend a lot of time today learning about the Indigenous People of the area. From an exercise where we got to move around and experience this history of the local people to having a speaker who is a Christian Indigenous presenter in Canada and the U.S., our students were able to learn a lot about the people and culture of Leech Lake. 

And here are some of their stories from today:

I had a good time today I had a really great experience. Today we were supposed to be weeding and in the beginning we did we were digging up the flowers and weeds that needed to be dug up. Then suddenly it decided to rain at first you would feel like that would be bad and horrible, when in reality it helped them out. They had been having a drought and hadn’t had much rain I don’t think any at all for a little while. So in the end it helped them a lot. We got to go to a school instead and help clean all of the desks and chairs and take off all the gum. I saw Jesus in the Youthworks leaders today because even though we had complications they were still able to get us serving and helping others. -Mayanna

Today was really fun, in terms of seeing the faces of the people. All the families were very thankful when we walked up to their cars to give them food. I was a wonderful experience that I hope to happen again to others in the group. I hope to be a blessing to not only the people but to my neighbors as well. I am looking forward to tomorrow, so that I may serve this wonderful town once more. -Vaughn

The time I had today was really great. We didn’t get to do the garden because of the rain, but the people around here were really blessed by the rain. Instead, we went to the superintendent’s office and we cleaned 4 classrooms. I can’t wait for tomorrow. -Robert

Thanks for praying for us (keep it up!).

No comments: