Monday, April 20, 2009

We Love Our TV

Today I was reading about the first cable systems in the US, interesting stuff, guys wiring cable to high powered antenna's, all that fun stuff.

Anyway, there are some statistics about current cable TV usage in there. In America we spend $75 billion on cable a year. $75 billion! Think about that for a second, if we took that money and put it towards feeding the hungry, water shortages, etc, we would solve all water, food, shelter, etc. issues in the world in about 4 months!

Yet, who would make that sacrifice? I don't know, I used to live in the small mining town of Grande Cache about ten years ago when the mine shut down. It hit the town hard (in about a month the population dropped from 5000 to 3500). Crime went up. People went to the food bank. House payments were not made. But cable bills, not a problem. No one sold their 48" TV's. Food we could go without, shelter we would just not pay, but TV, that we kept.

I don't know. I like TV and all, but I think I spend too much time watching it, but if the average is 6-8 hours a day, what's too much? Imagine what we could do in just one year to help our world with $75 billion...

T

No comments: