Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Discipleship

Sorry it's been a few days. I was at Ichthus last weekend and along with VBS set-up, I've been a little sleep deprived (I think I preached in the middle of that...)

Anyway, Ichthus was good. There were two things that really stood out to me. One was a little personal. Deleriou5? played what may be the last concert I will ever see of them (they are retiring as a band, it's only been 17 years). Even though I don't know every single song of theirs, it was good to see some people who are pioneers in the modern worship movement and hear them speak from their heart.

The other was discipleship. It's funny how God seems to be driving some points home in people around here. For the last almost year we've been talking at Drink Deep about reaching out with the gospel, but how that's not just saying, "Believe in Jesus, well, see you later." It takes work and discipleship. This weekend Justin Lookadoo said exactly the same thing. We as the church may be missing it. We seem to like the idea of people knowing there is a God. "Do you believe in Jesus Christ? Good, then you're in."

The problem is I can believe in someone, but not follow them. Not serve them. Not worship them. I had a teacher at college who was a great friend. I believe in him. I know him. But that didn't make me a fellow teacher. When it comes to Jesus, just knowing who He is or believing He exists isn't enough. As Justin reminded the crowd, even demons believe in Jesus. So you're about as strong a Christian as a demon, good job (that's found in James 2, it's a good section about serving). We need to move from personal head knowledge to a life of dedication and service and love to our God.

After all, as we've been talking about in Fire & Water, we're not called to make converts, to help people simply believe there is a Jesus.

Matthew 28:19-20 ~ Therefore go and make disciples in all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and then teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you; and be sure of this—that I am with you always, even to the end of the world." (italics added)

T

No comments: