Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Good And The Bad Of Tonight's Hockey Game

I just finished watching the Red Wings game (I'd mention the Penguins, but I don't think they showed up), and although that was bad in itself, that's not one of the two things I noticed in the match.

First the bad. I am tired of players losing their cool. Yes, sports are emotional, and yes, it stinks to lose, but you know what? You are paid millions of dollars to play a sport! Suck it up buttercup and keep your composure. Pittsburgh started to lose and suddenly the Red Wings are getting elbows to the head. Horrible. If the role models who are paid to play a sport (and play it right) can't display self-control, why are we surprised when the ten-year-olds who watch their role models act like sulking babies can't do it either?

But, there was good in the game. There is one thing I love about Detroit fans. They are loud! They sing all the time. Even after the music stops, you can hear 20,000 people still singing, loud and proud. I just wish somehow we could get people in churches to be like that. Something I personally don't get, when singing a prayer to God with other people we mouth the words and stay quiet. When at a sports event where your voice really doesn't matter, that's where we're the loudest.

Just a query and a hope...

T

No comments: