Monday, October 05, 2009

If Dan Brown Had A Youth Pastor...

Dan Brown is the guy who wrote "The Da Vinci Code" and all sorts of other fiction that for some reason causes people to think the Bible isn't true (I mean, after all, if someone writes a fictitious story that goes against the Bible, we should question the Bible and believe the fiction, right?). Anyway, this is a quote from Brown talking to Parade Magazine about how he gravitated away from God.

I was raised Episcopalian, and I was very religious as a kid. Then, in eighth or ninth grade, I studied astronomy, cosmology, and the origins of the universe. I remember saying to a minister, "I don't get it. I read a book that said there was an explosion known as the Big Bang, but here it says God created heaven and Earth and the animals in seven days. Which is right?" Unfortunately, the response I got was, "Nice boys don't ask that question." A light went off, and I said, "The Bible doesn't make sense. Science makes much more sense to me." And I just gravitated away from religion.

Now the questions about creation versus evolution will go on and on simply because we don't know enough about either one (trust me, for some reason it seems that's all I read about the past year), but look at how old Brown was and who he was asking. An eighth/ninth grader asking a pastor who apparently didn't seem to care that much...

I don't know. Maybe youth pastors around the world are inspiring people like Dan Brown to be people who help others embrace Jesus rather than question Him. Food for thought.

T

No comments: