Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lessons From Cooking - Part 1

A little while ago Lorie and I moved out of the dark ages and upgraded from our rabbit ears for the TV. Since then one of our favorite networks has been the Food Network. I don't know who likes it more, me, or Lorie because it gets me to cook. But in watching I've learned a few things I wish more people would get about their faith. Like:

A little goes a long way.

I know I've been harping on this for such a long time, but if people would realize just doing a little would help out so much, I think we would be doing more. Like in Hope Lives, our sermon series on World Poverty we just finished, if all the first world people would give $10, world poverty would be gone.

Well, in watching cooking I've noticed how just a little bit makes a big difference. A little bit of a certain spice. A little less water. Hey, even doing the little things like taking an extra 20 seconds to make a nice design on top of a cake, that little bit goes a long way.

It's the same way with God. A little can go a long way. Do things a little better, a little more prayer, a little more time with God, a little bit more patience, just a little bit can make a huge difference.

Jesus understood this. After all, you only need a little bit of yeast to make bread rise. As long as it permeates the dough...

“The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and hid in a large tub of flour until it made all the dough rise.” ~ Jesus (Matthew 13:33, NCV)

T

No comments: