Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lessons From Cooking - Part 2

Another valuable life and faith lesson from the Food Network:

Follow directions.

This weekend my brother-in-law Steve and I were doing work around the house, and he made the joke that real men don't use directions. That was until we couldn't get the microwave to fit or the water to the fridge, the wiring for the fan to work, etc. Usually, if for any reason you are given directions, they probably have a purpose.

Cooking is all about directions. Add the right things at the right time in the right amount then cook for the right period of time at the right temperature. If any one of those is off, forget it. You get burnt mush (trust me, I know).

God has given us directions for life. Not just general good ideas, directions. When I'm cooking and it says to add more milk than I usually do for mashed potatoes (which happened the other day), I can either look at that as a suggestion, or as you need to do it even though it doesn't make sense because someone smarter than you wrote it down. Luckily I did it, even though I didn't understand why until 40 minutes later. With the Bible, the rules for living are not suggestions. If you do them, life turns out better because Someone wiser wrote it down for us. He made the recipe for a good life.

There's a verse in Joshua I hear all the time about reading your Bible. But so many people skip the second part:

Always remember what is written in the Book of the Teachings. Study it day and night to be sure to obey everything that is written there. If you do this, you will be wise and successful in everything. ~ Joshua 1:8 (NCV)

We are to study the Bible why? To do what is written in it!

You don't have to follow the directions, but if you don't, be ready to eat some burnt mush...

T

No comments: