Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

When I first moved to the United States, this was a holiday I didn't get (we don't have it in Canada, well, kinda). I think it's great, but I have two questions:

1. Do you know what it means? Do you know what this day is for? When I started asking the Americans I knew what this holiday was all about, very few could tell me. Don't you think you should know what you're celebrating?

2. How are you celebrating? Are you simply taking the day off work and grilling? That's fine and all, but isn't the point of the holiday to honor the families of those who have lost their lives protecting our freedom and liberties, even our lives? how does a meal with family and friends celebrate that?

I don't know, it seem funny to me how we just love holidays but we don't really care for the meaning behind them (what if we told everyone who is not a Christian to go to work on Christmas? I mean, I work on Kwanzaa). More things just to get you thinking...

T

No comments: