Monday, July 16, 2018

Eastern Shore - Day 2

Today was our first full day of serving, followed by a community cookout at a Spanish church and a time of decompressing all together and as a church. Enjoy the stories!

Troy



Wassup world,

I woke up this morning, went to brush my teeth, and managed to explode an entire tube of tooth paste all over my shirt and hair. However the day got better as I walked downstairs and was greeted with Liz singing Happy Birthday to me, which was the first time of many today. After the mini celebration we went out to serve for the day, which was our first time getting to go out and serve in the Eastern Shores community, and my group, the Wonder Woman crew, was assigned to serve at a site called Manna Café. The way it works is everyone in the community is invited to come and eat a free hot lunch every Monday in the year. Even if it happens to be a holiday. The organization stands to provide a place for many people who are food insecure, to be able to get a fresh hot meal, while still being able to maintain their pride and not feel as though they are a part of some charity. The organization runs entirely on donations and feeds 400-600 mouths every week. Not only does Manna Café provide hot meals for many, but it also provides a place for fellowship. When we first arrived at Manna Café, we were greeted by Fran, the woman who started the operation, and she explained to us everything we would be doing, and what stations we would be manning. I was lucky enough to get to hop around and work at every station which included working drinks, the take table, busing tables, holding doors open, and washing dishes. This allowed for me to get to not only meet, and serve so many community members, but also made it so I could get to know the other volunteers at the café and learn more about why they choose to volunteer each week. It was amazing to get to see a community come together and share a meal today, as we ended up serving 469 guests. If you want to check out more about Manna Café their Facebook is @MannacafeCI #plug. After a day of serving we went to showers, and then to prep the community picnic. When arriving to the church where the cookout was being hosted I was greeted by many of the people from our church handing me balloons and singing me happy birthday, for the about the 20th time, which was a really fun surprise, but sadly we didn’t have quite enough balloons to make me fly, although we were close. Overall it was an excellent first day and it was clear to see God working through so many smiling faces all day! #mintyfresh
-Kaili


Hey.

First day is done. YAY. So yesterday we got to the worksite and met the other church and work people. I was surprised at first because the other churched looked way younger than us. They told is the age group was 11-18 and I was shook. I can defiantly tell who is younger and who isn’t. The kids from the other group created a Squad and they don’t let anyone in which I don’t care cuz I’m original but they wouldn’t let people in their own church in their group. So God moment. One girl from the other group was crying when I went down stair to get a drink I asked if she was ok. She then said that she was so thankful of me being nice and inviting to her. Then she told me that she was surprised that our Church group was so close and friendly to each other. Then she proceeded to tell me about her worries and troubles about her group. I told her that let it go cuz your time on this mission trip is short and by being angry and annoyed with these people she might miss God’s signs. I told her some other things but oh well. Today We went to children ministry. They were doing VBS which was the same as our theme “Shipwrecked” Since I have a broken ankle I couldn’t do most of the things they did but I did swing a lot and help with activities.  It was Kaili’s Birthday today so yay. 1 more year till she can do adult things.
-Emily


Buenos noches familia!

Para la primera dia yo tuve la oportunidad para trabajar con los ninos de la comunidad. Esos ninos hablan ingles y espanol. Una famila que ir a el clubo de ninos prefieren hablar en espanol. Cuando yo no hable en espanol los ninos no escucharon los instrucciones y causaron muchos problemas. Porque yo puedo hablar espanol, los ninos escucharia a mi. Porque de este habilidad, yo forme relaciones con este ninos. Fue una experiencia increible y unica.

So back to the English you were probs expecting, I was basically saying that for my first day of service I was able to work with a Kids Club with a majority of the participants being of Hispanic descent. Five years of Spanish classes actually paid off and I was able to connect with a family of 2 girls and 1 boy who spoke primarily Spanish. This experience was so incredible because I was able to work with a young boy who had been causing troubles all day and speak to him in a way that made him feel more comfortable. It was awesome to see God using an ability of mine to connect with this family and help brighten their experience at Kids Club!

After working at Kids Club we had a cookout with the community. I was a bit skeptical of having the cookout on the first day of the trip because in my experience the cookout was always the last day, however having the cookout today ending up being a blessing for me! I spent my time at the cookout with a 9 year old girls and her 11 year old brother. I was able to just hang out with them and chill for the whole time (I gave her my snapchat so you know it was real). By the end of the night they were hugging me goodbye and were sad to see me go, and I was sad that I only had this short time with them. However, this gave me the opportunity to invite them to kids club tomorrow, which they excitedly agreed to! So, after talking to their mom we were able to figure out a way to get them to Kids Club to hang out with me tomorrow! I am so pumped to hang out with all of these great kids tomorrow!! Adios!!
-Katie

No comments: