Saturday, July 21, 2018

Eastern Shore - Day 5/6


Our apologies these blogs are a day late. The footwashing ceremony went over two hours last night and our decompression of the trip tonight was about 2.5 hours. This has been a great trip and we thank you for all your support and prayers.



On Thursday, our group went out to Manna CafĂ© to take part in the biannual deep cleaning of the kitchen and main serving area. While the place was kept in relatively good shape, there was plenty of dust, corrosion, and all sorts of gunk that had to be cleaned off the equipment and the general area. Afterwards, our group had time to visit the NASA research facility at Wallops, VA which is home to many rocket and aircraft tests for the climate and atmosphere that have been done for a good amount of time. This fall I plan to attend Purdue for engineering so the only reaction I had at that visitor center was me obsessing and nerding out over the large history of rocket development and tests the Wallops center had. There was a radar plane (I believe an E-2 Hawkeye) that kept on doing touch offs on the runway on the main base. I was even more impressed when I learned that Project Nike from the 50’s to the 70’s was based at the Wallops center. To my knowledge my grandfather, as an electrical engineer, worked on some of the technologies involved, and a member of the church worked at the base during the lifetime of the project. I’m not for certain that I plan for an aerospace degree, but I can’t deny being impressed by the massive development of planes and aircraft in the last century and a half from simple hot air balloons to missions in outer space. God’s people are capable of incredible things and I want to harness the sciences and details that God put into this world to make technologies that can better the lives of many whether in a small town or the entire globe. This entire week has been an interesting transition, but I am ready to move on and use the gifts God gave to pursue my passions to help further Christ.
-Connor


On Thursday the 19th my group consisting of multiple people, worked at Una Familia and at the Youthworks kids club. Una Familia is a program dedicated to tutoring kids. I hanged out with some middle schooler who told me a lot about geography and countries they would like to visit. After they learned they got a snack and could play games like connect 4 where we had a big tournament that got really close. Afterwards we worked the Kids Club I worked specifically with a kid that had a special need just to be supervised constantly and he wore me out. I resumed my role as “the king of pb & Js.” And worked on water day where we cooled off the kids while having a little fun. After work we had our final gathering where we did the foot washing ceremony and I prayed for my brother and started balling since he is leaving for college soon. Also after the footwashing ceremony we seemed to bond all together in our faith and become a big group of friends instead of loosely connected associates. Friday was much easier as we traveled to Uniontown, PN to stop and debrief for the trip and we all had a lot of fun and laughs and we talked about the highs of the trip and we all took some time to remember on the lows and the amazing work that was going on in Eastern Shores and how the community there really is close and works together. They freely trust strangers with their children knowing they are with Youthworks and they trust their neighbors to help with their kids. After we were done remembering we had some more laughs as the newest member of the youth group talked about how much they have grown into the group over the week.
-Carson


Today we started the drive back home. The hours in the car and time spent talking at the church allowed for me to reflect on this past week. Working with kids the entire time was an unique experience, and one I enjoyed. One memory that stuck out to me in particular happened yesterday at Kid’s Club. There was this girl named Carly who sat down at the table I was at and didn’t speak. She seemed very shy and was just watching us play cards, but I noticed the ends of her hair were pink. I struck up a conversation and pointed out that my hair was also pink, and her face lit up. The rest of the day she stuck with her ‘pink twin’, and it was wonderful to see God use that to help me connect with a kid that otherwise might not have opened up to me. My friends also know that I tell really cheesy jokes, a lot, and I was able to use them as ice breakers this week to get to know the other kids in the community and from the other church. Some people even told me afterwards that though they may have groaned at the jokes, they brightened their day. I’m glad I can help spread the joy and love of Christ in all these ways and so many more. As someone who just graduated, this mission trip reminded me of the joys and advantages of getting to know people and serving them, and I look forward to seeing where He will take me next.
-Sabrina

No comments: