Thursday, July 19, 2018

Eastern Shore - Day 4

Hey everyone, here are the stories from Wednesday. We have only one more day of serving, keep praying for us please!

Troy



Today, I went to Agape to help with preschool age kids. The theme there was the Shipwrecked vacation Bible school we had at our church. When we arrived, the kids were sitting to begin watching their video, however, we did not stay inside for a long time. We headed outside and did some yard work. Delaney, Liz, Jacob, Morgan, and I pulled weeds and broke off dead trees around the sign in front of the place. When we finished, the kids were outside playing and we went to play with them. They were all joyful and loved playing with us. Afterwards, the kids went inside for lunch and we helped the volunteers there to serve the kids. As the kids ate lunch, we went upstairs to eat our own lunch and had an extended break because the kids were taking a nap. Once the nap was over, we went back downstairs to talk to the kids while they ate snack then headed outside so they could have their boat race with the boats they made during crafts. We then left to have dinner and showers and have an early gathering. Later we went to the beach and I didn’t get in the water, but I watched everyone else enjoy the water and watched the sunset with Emma. We then returned to the church to conclude our day.
-Rachael


Today my group went to Agape, which is a free preschool childcare place. We spent the day playing with the kids and helping in the yard as much as possible. After that, we went to the showers and went back to the church to eat dinner early so we could have as much time at the beach as possible. We spent a couple of hours at the beach for our evening activity, and then our church went and got ice cream. To end the night, we came back to the church to rest up for our last day of service tomorrow.
-Morgan


This mission trip so far has been interesting. I have so far worked exclusively with kids, the first 2 days I worked at kids club. Working with kids was nice because they are full of energy and these kids were pretty well mannered. Today and tomorrow I will have also been working with kids at Agape, a church camp, and also helping them out with yard work. It has been pretty interesting because like I said I enjoy working with kids and it has been a good experience all around.

My experience on this mission trip has not just been limited to my worksite I have had fun and learned a lot during other parts of the mission trip. On Monday we had a cookout with the locals and it was fun to connect to the community through playing soccer matches and eating food. I also learned a lot on Tuesday Veronica, an immigrant herself, talked to us about some of the challenges community members on the eastern shore face. As it turns out a lot of the eastern shores population consists of migrant workers or immigrants and so it is a pretty tight nit Hispanic community.

Over all it has been a good time and I do enjoy helping out at the eastern shore. I’d like to thank the people who helped us get here, the church, my parents, and of course Liz and Troy. I feel as if I have made an impact on my faith and in the lives of others.
-Jacob




No comments: