Thursday, May 07, 2009

It's All Okay If You Do What's Right

Now, don't be fooled by the title. It is not always easy to do the right thing, but it will always be okay (in a sense).

Here's where I'm getting it from. Reading the prophets has reminded me of all the stories of things they went through. Jeremiah was thrown in a well basically because a jail would be too nice for him. Ezekiel had to do all sorts of crazy things like lie on his side for over a year. Daniel was a prisoner who was thrown in with lions while his friends were almost burned to death. All this crazy stuff. But there are two verses in Ezekiel that helped it make sense. One comes after God tells Ezekiel he has to tell the people about funerals and death and things of that nature. The other is after God says the people won't like what Ezekiel has to say.

Ezekiel 3:1-3 ~ Then the Lord said to me, “Human, eat what you find; eat this scroll. Then go and speak to the people of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and He gave me the scroll to eat. He said to me, “Human, eat this scroll which I am giving you, and fill your stomach with it.” Then I ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. (NCV)

Ezekiel 3:7-9 ~ "But the people of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, because they are not willing to listen to Me. Yes, all the people of Israel are stubborn and will not obey. See, I now make you as stubborn and as hard as they are. I am making you as hard as a diamond, harder than stone. Don’t be afraid of them or be frightened by them, though they are a people who turn against Me." (NCV)

Both times God is saying this will be rough, but both times He reassures Ezekiel that he can do it. The words that need be told to someone else, they taste like honey to the one following God. The thing you have to do that you know will hurt, God makes you hard as diamond to do it.

It's funny how God gives you the right thing at the right time. I've been thinking about someone I should talk to, but how it's not my place or what not. And then I read this. And now I'm nervous because I think it's a hint, and who would I rather tick off, this other person, or God for not doing what I should..? (I hope the words are sweet and I'm hard as diamond...)

T

No comments: