Thursday, January 28, 2010

Even Jesus Prayed

I don't know why, but I have been very slow making my way through the Gospels lately. Maybe I'm lazy, maybe everything is jumping out at me. Who knows? (Well, God...)

Today I was reading about Jesus calling the twelve disciples.

Luke 6:12-13 ~ At that time Jesus went off to a mountain to pray, and He spent the night praying to God. The next morning, Jesus called His followers to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He named apostles. (NCV)

Now here's where my mind started turning. Jesus knew everything (and still does), so He knew who the twelve disciples were. So why did He still pray? Why did He still spend all night praying? He had a connection with God being One with Him that we will never have or understand. And yet He still felt the need to pray for hours and hours all night over this decision.

I don't think we understand prayer yet. Obviously it's not all about the request or even making the right decisions. Jesus was going to pick the right people, He knew 100% He was, but He still spent more time in prayer before this decision than many others (that we know of). Was He praying for the disciples, that they would be ready for what they were to do? Was He praying for me reading about this moment knowing I would be confused?

All I can come up with is I need to pray more, because if Jesus needs extra prayer, and He gets it, how much more do I need since I don't get it?

T

No comments: