Friday, December 02, 2005

Getting In The Habit

Alright, so it's day two and I highly doubt anyone has even read the first entry, but I figure I better get in the habit of writing here everyday (or at least close to) so I'm making another entry. I will warn you, it's almost eight in the morning and I've been up since five with little sleep, so the ramblings may end up being worse then yesterday (or better, who knows).

The reason I'm up so early is every Friday our sr. highs from our church meet for breakfast at McD's and a devotional before school. I still don't know why on earth McD's serves breakfast, as if the grease for the other two meals is not enough. I complain, yet I still eat there, so I'll shut up about that.

Noah did the devo this morning from Proverbs 1:8-9. Talking about listening to your parents and how their wisdom is good and right. I never had an issue with my parents growing up, we got along and I generally listened to them, but I still remember thinking when I was 16 how I knew everything. Man, how stupid. It's over a decade later, finished high school, college, post-graduate, lived life, moved 7 times (3 of them big), gotten married and spent more time with God and I feel as if more than anything I've gotten stupider, not smarter (the use of the word "Stupider" is proof). What is it about human nature that makes us think that we need to know everything, or even more arrogant, that we can? I don't know if light is a wave or a photon, but I still enjoy it. I don't know how my iPod can take a series of electrons, shoot them across metal roads and turn it into music in my headphones, but I still listen to it. And then to think about there being a God. There is no way I will ever fully understand who He is or how He thinks, but I still believe He exists and do my best to know Him more.

Who knows? Maybe in two hundred years we will have all the answers. We will understand everything. We will have mapped the cosmos, defined every living organism, understood what actually causes gravity, we will have turned infinite knowledge into a textbook containing all there is to comprehend. Then what? What happens after that? What will we do if we have nothing else to strive for? Where's the fun in that? Part of the adventure of traveling is a new experience, seeing something for the first time, meeting new people, learning just how little we are in this world and how little our knowledge is about it. What's the point in hiking a trail in the wilderness if you know where everything is, have seen where it goes, know every squirrel you see by name, where every rock lies?

But then again, it is morning...

T

No comments: