Thursday, December 22, 2005

What Goes Through People's Minds?

I was going to talk about a song that's been in my head all day because we're playing it as special music at NewSong on the 1st, but something else happened between the time I opened this lovely blog box and I could start typing (I'll talk about that some other time)...

I just want to know why people are dumb. That's pretty much it. And I'll narrow it down a little. A friend of mine just came in and told me about someone he works with. Someone frustrating him and other employees. Why? They're a chronic liar. And I mean to the point where his office is wondering if they are really having surgery.

People will lie about anything. We all know it. We've even all done it. Done something wrong and don't want to get in trouble. A little insecure when someone has a great accomplishment and want to feel appreciated. But why? I mean, really, why? When do we lie and it not get found out? It's impossible to keep up a lie forever.

When I lived in Edmonton there was a guy that had to be sat down and explained to that he was lying and needed to stop. I just don't know how people can get truth so confused. "No, you have never been to my hometown, it's 2000 miles away and you can't find it on a map." "You know my sister? How old is she? Nope, try again. What color hair? Nope, try again." I mean, is truth really that hard to distinguish from fiction?

Well, I guess in a way, yes. If truth was so easy to identify, more people would follow truth. But now we live in the digital age. A person's voice can be faked. The whole goal of movies are to trick you into believing something that isn't true (man, did I see that at Disneyworld!). Yesterday someone sent me a picture of a penguin with a pair of cymbals standing on a sleeping polar bear about to wake him. Of course we all know that's not real, but it sure looked real.

Maybe it is hard to decipher truth and fiction now. I knew a guy who for a prank told a friend from Africa that snow contained deadly snow spiders. Sounds stupid, right? Well, this guy, smart as he was, went home and made a webpage about it and submitted it to search engines. When the African guy went home and checked it out on the internet, guess what he found? He said the nurse was really confused when he called the hospital asking about the vaccination...

This is why we need truth all the more in today's society. Follow truth. Jesus is truth (John 14:6). Do what you can to share truth. To follow truth. To live truth.

T

No comments: