Sunday, December 04, 2005

It's So Early

Sorry for missing yesterday y'all. I haven't even been at this a week and I've already skipped a day.

Okay, so it's nice and early on Sunday morning. For those of you that don't know me, I hate mornings. I loathe mornings. I can do more at 6am if I don't go to sleep and stay up until 6am, not wake up that early. If mornings are so good, beds wouldn't be so comfy. And I wake up (groggily) and get myself ready because I have church today.

But that's when it hits me. I love church. I want to go to church. For so many people it's a boring, stupid chore that needs to be done every week to relieve some sense of guilt that was instilled in them by their parents because somehow sitting your butt in a pew and pretending to pay attention for an hour on Sunday morning will deter God's wrath along with mommy's. I'm the exact opposite. I don't have to go to church, I get to go to church. After worshipping God by myself all week, today I get to do it with a room full of other voices. After reading my Bible and praying by myself, I get to see someone else's point of view and learn something I new.

Can you imagine how much fun church might be if you actually wanted to be there? (God didn't create it as punishment, after all, heaven will be a lot like a huge church service at times, and God invented fun as a taste of heaven). Think about it. What church would be like if you actually took a second and treated it like you wanted to go... or what it would be like if everyone else there wasn't sitting quietly doing their 1/168th of the week they have to, but actually wanted to be there. Showing up on time. Smiling. Friendly. Singing loudly. Laughing at the jokes in the sermon. Paying attention. Maybe even taking notes. Welcoming new people. What would a church full of people like that be like?!

If a church was like that on Sunday morning, maybe new people would want to come see what it's all about out. Maybe this is the reason they don't...

Enjoy your Sunday. Meet with God, He wants to meet with you.

T

No comments: