Friday, May 12, 2006

Is It That Hard? Pt. 2

This morning I get to work and see in my email that someone has left me a comment on my blog. It's from someone who has the Bible on DVD I mentioned earlier, and since the three people I know who read this don't have it, that means someone new and exciting is reading this. I'm not sure I can handle it...

Their comment was quite valid. "hmmm...I love movies which is why I purchased this product. I just wish they had it in the NIV version. Seriously, if the Bible on DVD helps bring someone to Christ...isn't that worth the $29? "

First of al, if it brings you closer to God, hey, all the power to you. And since you actually have the product, maybe you, anonymous reader, can give a little more information on it. My impression was that it was not a movie, rather, someone reading the Bible with the pages on the screen so you can read along. But again, anything that brings you closer to God is worth $29.

But I still have two questions. Will the Bible on DVD actually bring someone to a relationship with Christ? I see a commercial on the all-Christian network with a nice Republican looking family sitting in their living room watching pages of a Bible on TV. I have friends who don't have anything to do with God and I have a hard time seeing them seeing the commercial in the first place, then actually buying the thing to have as a Bible. When I think of going over to their place, I don't think of bringing the Bible on DVD to teach them about Jesus. I think of actually talking to them (what a thought). From my experience, tracts and little leaflets about Jesus are not as effective as people actually talking to someone and showing them the love of Christ.

My other question was more about our society than the product itself and goes back to my first post. Are we so lazy we can't even read anymore? We can't pick up a book and read for ourselves, we have to watch someone on TV read to us? Yeah, that worked when I was 4 but I've learned to read since then. How can you use the DVD as an effective tool like the Bible? If I want to cross reference what is being read on the screen with another scripture, do I have to switch discs, find chapter 21, then forward for 23 seconds? Can you do a topical study with the DVD's? Maybe it's just a me thing, but I even hate digital daytimers because you have to go through so much trouble to find what you're looking for. In my daytimer, I just flip open the page.

Annonymous commenter, whoever you are, thanks for reading and writing in. You've made me think a little bit more and like I said earlier, if it works for you, all the power to you. I just pray your growth isn't stunted by the technology and you aren't trapped in the pre-recorded DVD box of how the Bible flows together. I hope you're still reading your Bible too.

T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

more than 1 person reads your blog
probably a lot more than 1
so be of good courage my friend