Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Theology And The Cranberries

I doubt many people who read this will remember who the Cranberries are. Few of you will remember the Irish band or one of their top hits "Salvation", but one line from it is going through my head (the one they repeat about 4 billion times in 4 minutes, that takes talent). It says, "Salvation is free".

So here's my question. Is it really free? I love how in our modern society we focus on me. Me, me, me. What does it cost me? We don't care about the slave labor that made our leather wallet from Taiwan, we don't want to know about it, we worry about what it costs me, and what will keep that cost down. We don't worry about farmers struggling day in and day out just to make, no, no worries about what it costs them for us to get our gallon of milk at Wal-Mart, we just want to know how we can get it cheaper.

Everything has a cost. One of the amazing things about salvation is it is free, to us. A price was already paid for it. In the realm of the entire universe, no salvation was not free, it's just already been paid so now we get it free. Be thankful that such a great and awesome opportunity has been given to us with no need for payment, but don't forget Who did pay for it.

For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver. He paid for you with the precious lifeblood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God. - I Peter 1:18-19

T

No comments: