Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What Makes Jesus Smile?

I'm sure you've been told it some time in your life. I know I have. That wonderful guilt-ridden phrase that drives me nuts (which is probably why I say it sometimes to people, just because it's so ludicrous). "You're making the baby Jesus cry..."

Instead, I want to go the other way. I hate the shame in thinking I do something to make Jesus cry, so what makes Jesus happy? I read it today. To be honest, I couldn't really find any other verses in the Gospels where Jesus is described as "happy" or having "joy" except this one.

At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure. - Luke 10:21 (I added the italics).

Do you see it, what makes Jesus happy? What makes Him smile? What causes Him to be full of joy through the Holy Spirit?

People who get it.

When people understand the Truth. When they start to live their lives as God wants them to be lived. When they tell others about the Truth they have found. That's what makes Jesus happy. That's what makes Jesus smile. Understanding who Jesus really is and living your life in that knowledge.

But how would that look? Can you imagine if people started to suddenly "get it" and their lives were changed? I read a book the other day where one character said there are 4 billion people on earth who say they believe in God. The other character asked why he said it that way, "say" they believe in God. The first character's response was basically "If they really believed it, they would be living differently. They would be giving to the poor, showing love, etc."

Let's do what we can to make Jesus smile...

T

No comments: