Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Believe Therefore I Am

I woke up thinking about this, what if we treated everything in this manner. After all, some people think they are followers of Christ simply because they believe God is real. Let's see if that works in the rest of the world...

I believe President Obama is a real person, does that make me a Democrat?
I believe satan is real, does that make me a satanist?
I believe football is real, does that make me a NFL player? (if so, someone owes me a paycheck)
I believe Italy is a real place, does that make me Italian?
I believe there is a cosmos outside of our atmosphere, does that make me an astronomer? An astronaut?
I believe chickens are real, does that make me poultry?
I believe it is cold outside, does that make me cold?
I believe in Ecuador it's warm, does that make me hot? Or Ecuadorian? Or both?
I believe the jeans I am wearing are real, does that make me made of denim?
I believe Lorie loves me, is that what makes us married?
I believe Jesus was and is a real person, does that make me a follower of Jesus?

It doesn't work, does it? Believing President Obama is a real person doesn't make me a Democrat, if I joined the party or how I voted determines that. Believing there's an Italy doesn't make me Italian, me living there and holding citizenship in that country determines if I'm Italian. Lorie's love is great, but that's not what made us married, it was a ceremony in which I made a promise to love her and be with her.

Now go back to God, does belief by itself work? I don't think so. What made me a part of the things mentioned above were my choices, how I acted, how I lived, where I made commitments. That's how our faith should work too...

T

No comments: